A bass amplifier or bass amp is a kind of musical amplifier used for musical instruments to increase the volume. Generally, amplifying means increasing and bass amp increases the volume of the bass instrument’s sound. This musical instrument amplifier helps to make the lower pitched musical instruments like bass guitar into loud enough to hear music and performance by the audience.
If you have a bass instrument and can’t hear the bass sound, then it is very important to buy a bass amp for your device to enjoy your music. Are you new to buying a bass amp? Don’t know how to choose best bass amps? Then, precisely this is the right place for you find more about wanting a right bass amp.
This buying guide helps you to learn more about the bass amp and as well as about various bass amps available in today’s bass amp market. Are you ready?? Let’s start!!
- 1 Bass Amplification History:
- 2 Tube Amps vs. Solid State vs. Hybrids:
- 2.1 Tube amps:
- 2.2 Solid state amps:
- 2.3 Hybrid amps:
- 2.4 Bass Amps Features:
- 3 Bass Amps Brands:
- 4 Bass Amps under $200:
- 4.1 1#: Fender Rumble 40 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier: $199.99
- 4.2 2#: Ampeg BA110V2 BA-110V2 40W 10″ Bass Combo Amplifier: $179.99
- 4.3 3#: Peavey Max 158 Bass Combo Amplifier: $124.99
- 4.4 4#: Orange Amplifiers Crush PiX CR25BX 25W 1×8 Bass Combo Amp: $199.00
- 4.5 5#: Zoom B3 Bass Guitar Effects and Amp Simulator: $199.99
- 5 Bass Amps under $100:
- 5.1 1#: Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier: $99.99
- 5.2 2#: Ampeg BA108V2 20-Watt 8″ Bass Combo Amplifier: $99.99
- 5.3 3#: Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier: $59.99
- 5.4 4#: Pignose 7-100 Legendary portable amplifier: $72.83
- 5.5 5#: Peavey Max 126 Bass Combo Amplifier: $79.00
- 6 Summing Up:
Bass Amplification History:
In 1950, the Leo Fender released the first electric bass amplifier, which is discovered to solve the problem with low-frequency output and it also solves the problem quickly and increases the volume of bass sound.
After this successful invention, the Fender derived a new 50W tube-driven amp with 15” speaker. This invention is based on only one 15” speaker, so Fender redesigned this tube-driven amp to 4 10” speakers. At last, in 1958, the Fender has introduced a standard electric bass amplification.
Between 1960 to 1970’s, many manufacturers started to discover multiple bass cabinets. John Entwistle is the first person who used the many bass cabinets that were found by Marshall.
But, still, the bass amp used in 1970’s are big and as well as overweight too. So, after 1970’s a new kind of solid state bass amplifier came into the market to get rid of the problem with the previous version of bass amps.
At the same time, enhancement in the bass amp was not stopped and as well as an advanced version called hybrid bass amp was discovered to resolve all problems with tube and solid bass amps. Now, most of the people use the hybrid bass amp for their bass musical instruments to increase the volume. On the other hand, some people are also using the solid-state bass amp for their bass guitar.
These are the brief history of first to the last invention of musical bass amplifiers.
Tube Amps vs. Solid State vs. Hybrids:
Now, you know the brief history about first to the latest version of bass amplifiers right!! We know the different types of bass amps such as Tube amps, Solid state amps, and Hybrids amps, but don’t see the difference between all these bass amps and what changes made in advanced amps right!!
Here, we are going to know more about Tube amps, Solid state amps and Hybrids amps in depth.
At first, bass amps are made by using vacuum tubes that produce the most natural music sound, so, until 1970’s, most of the people use this tube amps. But, this kind of bass amps results in distortion when overdriven. On the other hand, when it comes to amp power, this bass amp produces louder sound even for low wattage. So, people didn’t like this tube amps and requested the new one or return to the old version.
Solid state amps:
To get rid of problems with tubes amps, solid state amps are introduced during the 1970’s. Unlike tube amps, these solid state amps use transistor technology that helps to design solid-state amp in low weight, size, and cost.
A previous version of tube amps is big in size, heavyweight and consumes more money, but this solid state amp solves all those problems. Additionally, this amps also reduces the distortion when overdriven.
This is the last bass amps introduced in recent years with the combination of tube amps and solid state amps. This amp is designed with tube-based preamplifier with stable state power stage. However, the size and weight of the hybrid amps remain same in the hybrid amps but gives high-quality pleasing sound than solid-state bass amps. Finally, the hybrid amps produce warm sound than solid state amps.
These are the difference between first to the last version of bass amps and also the improvements made in each stage of bass amps.
Bass Amps Features:
You know why you need to use bass amps, but you know, the features of using the bass amps?? Here, we are going to identify what the features you can look bass amps are. Keep scrolling!!
Almost one and all bass amp provides controlled sound over bass, middle and other treble frequencies so that you can hear the pleasing music. Some of the bass amps make a bright switch that adds clarity to the sound, whereas different particular kinds of bass amp use to shape and contour circuits to results in clear sound.
Nowadays, bass amps offer numerous avenues for clean and overdrive. At the same time, some bass amp is made with tone control for each channel, so it allows you to change each channel for different sounds.
In addition to that, it helps to power the multiple speakers separately and as well as speakers that are made in various sizes are powered by using various channels.
With the help of gain control, you can overcome the problem with overdriven and also draw a warm overdriven sound.
The combination of damping control with resonance helps to fine tune the sound to the output speakers.
The direct output feature allows you to connect amp directly to the mixer.
Multiple speaker jacks
You know, all speakers and cable do not result in the same quality of sound. At such a case, many speaker jacks help to balance each speaker and cables.
Passive and active inputs
This feature is essential if you want to play different bass with both active and as well as passive pickups.
This footswitch jack helps you to change switch between channels and controlling other factors without taking out of your hand from the bass.
The built-in tuner is an excellent feature of bass amps which allows you to adjust the tune silently even on the stage performance.
Switchable power supply
With this switchable power supply, you no need to worry about matching amp with local power supply, because it doesn’t require any external power supply to match the amp.
This is the advanced feature of the bass amp that allows you to mute the bass when you’re taking a break or switching instruments.
This is the list of features that you can expect on the bass amplifier. Apart from that, you can also get other features based on the venue, music and brass instruments you’re using for the performance.
Bass Amps Brands:
So, have decided to buy a bass amp for your musical instruments to get high-volume and pleasing sound? I like so, then surely you will get plenty of options in these days market. There are so many manufacturers and a wide range of companies for amplifiers, Below is a list of manufacturers who offers bass amps.
- Acoustic Control Corporation
- Barefaced Audio
- Carvin A&I
- Crate Amplifiers
- EBS Sweden AB
- Eden Electronics
Apart from that, there are so many other manufacturers such as JM Speakers, Laney Amplification, Mariola, Markbass, Orange Amplification, Peavey Electronics, Phil Jones Bass, Roland Corporation, SP Amplifier, SWR Sound Corporation, TC Electronic, Tech 21, Warwick, Yamaha and like more.
At last, you will get plenty of brands for buying a bass amp. Therefore, purchasing the right bass amp offered by the best brand is a daunting task only. No worries, you can able to categorize brands of bass amps.
You know, some of the manufacturers offer only the single component such as an amplifier, whereas others provide both microphone and as well as speakers. So, by using this factor, you can able to sort out the brands and choose the best one.
For example, if you want to buy a bass amplifier alone, then search for the brands that offer only bass amp, because they have all types of bass amps from old to the latest version. So, you can able to pick the best bass amps that meet your needs on bass amps.
Choosing the best bass amps are very important for your performance, so check all the above-listed features are there in your bass amp or not. And, check once or twice before paying for a bass amp.
Bass Amps under $200:
As I said before, there is a wide range of options available in these days market to buy bass amps. So, you should confuse to choose the right one with the several options.
But, you don’t worry; I’m here for helping you in this. It is effortless to sort out multiple options of bass amps using some keyword. If this is the second time for you to buying the bass amp, then surely you will have some idea of brands and also would like to purchase bass amps on particular brands right!!
At the same time, you already allocate some money for purchasing bass amps. Therefore, while looking for best bass amps, you have to use these two factors such as price and brands as keywords to pick the right one.
If you’re looking bass amps under $200 offered by best brands, then this section is really for you people. In this section, I’m going to talk about the five best bass amps under $200.
1#: Fender Rumble 40 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier: $199.99
This is one of the best bass amps comes under $200, and the Fender Rumble 40 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier is designed with newly developed overdrive circuit and switchable control panels. In addition to that, this amplifier features a lot, and some of the features are as follows.
- It provides bass tones from classic gritty growl to slap-worthy modern punch by using developed circuit and as well as switchable control panels.
- You can plug an MP3 player into the input jack to enjoy the music.
- You can practice music privately by using a mute option in the bass
- This is available in lightweight.
- This amplifier comes to your hand with five years transferable warranty
“If you want to practice music privately, then Fender Rumble 40 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier is the right option.”
2#: Ampeg BA110V2 BA-110V2 40W 10″ Bass Combo Amplifier: $179.99
The Ampeg BA110V2 BA-110V2 40W 10″ Bass Combo Amplifier features a classic tone for both practice and as well as rehearsal. Apart from that, you can obtain plenty of other features.
- It provides a headphone jack for private listening
- Its 60-degree monitor angle offers increased clarity in sound
- This amplifier gives modern flexibilities for players
- This is made with impact-resistant metal corners
- You can carry this along with your wherever you want
- This is made to feature portability to carry
“If you want to buy an amplifier to practice at your home, then Ampeg BA110V2 BA-110V2 40W 10″ Bass Combo Amplifier is the perfect choice for you.”
3#: Peavey Max 158 Bass Combo Amplifier: $124.99
The Peavey Max 158 Bass Combo Amplifier is made to operate at 20 watts and 4 ohms. And, it also loaded with the following features.
- This amplifier features a low, mid and as well as high EQ controls.
- It is made with volume control along with transtube distortion boost
- This amplifier includes an 8-inch speaker
- You can connect this amp to your phone by using jack
“If you want to buy a basic amplifier with DDT speaker protection, then Peavey Max 158 Bass Combo Amplifier is an ideal choice for you.”
From the name itself, you know that this Amplifiers Crush PiX CR25BX 25W 1×8 Bass Combo Amp is made in attractive orange color. Below are some of the features this bass combo amp.
- This bass combo amp is made with eight speakers
- It also includes three-band EQ control for low, mid and high
- It gives great tone quality
- Its headphone jack helps you to monitor and practice
- This is simple and elegant to use.
“If you want to buy attractive bass combo amp for your bedroom, then Orange Amplifiers Crush PiX CR25BX 25W 1×8 Bass Combo Amp is the best choice for you.”
5#: Zoom B3 Bass Guitar Effects and Amp Simulator: $199.99
This amp simulator is designed with three large LCDs and intuitive amp, stompbox, looper function and as well as recording.
- You can use this amp in any combination and also in an integrated drum machine
- With this amp simulator, you can able to create and store more than 100 original tones.
- It includes USB audio interface for recording
- You can make use of this amplifier for both live performance and direct recording
“If you would like to buy a compact amp simulator with all advanced features, then pay for Zoom B3 Bass Guitar Effects and Amp Simulator.”
Bass Amps under $100:
If you’re new to bass amps and looking bass amps under $100, then this section is really for you. Here, I’m going to share you about the five best bass amps under $100 that taken from the best brands.
1#: Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier: $99.99
The Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier provides bass tones from classic gritty growl to slap-worthy modern. Below are some of the features of this amplifier.
- This is made with newly developed overdrive circuit with contour controls.
- You can able to practice privately with this headphone output jack
- It allows using an MP3 player to enjoy the music
- It comes to your hand with five years transferable warranty
- It includes standard volume and as well as EQ controls
“If you look to buy an amplifier under $100 with more years of warranty, then Fender Rumble 25 v3 Bass Combo Amplifier is only the option for you.”
2#: Ampeg BA108V2 20-Watt 8″ Bass Combo Amplifier: $99.99
Do you want to buy an amp for small space? Then, Ampeg BA108V2 20-Watt 8″ Bass Combo Amplifier is made for you. Keep continuing to read the other features of this amplifier.
- To increase the clarity of sound, it makes uses 60-degree monitor angle
- This is made with impact-resistant metal corners
- You can easily transition from right angle monitoring for added clarity
- It is made with headphone output jack for private practicing
- It includes eight speakers and 3 EQ controls
- It is very easy to take this amplifier and perform on the outside
“If you want to buy a compact amplifier for your bedroom or the outside, then Ampeg BA108V2 20-Watt 8″ Bass Combo Amplifier is the best choice.”
3#: Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier: $59.99
Do you want to buy an amplifier for your bass guitar? Then, pay for Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier, because it designed mainly for electric guitar. The features of this amplifier are as follows:
- This is made to offer one channel
- It features control for Gain, Over-Drive Select Switch, Volume, Treble, Bass
- You can connect this amplifier to the CD player or other media player
- It is made with output headphone so that you can practice your music privately
- This is closed-back design to give a more substantial bass response
- It has a 6-inch specially designed, speaker
“If you would like to buy a high-quality amplifier that offers custom-voiced built-in overdrive at a great price, then Fender Frontman 10G Electric Guitar Amplifier is the right option for you.”
4#: Pignose 7-100 Legendary portable amplifier: $72.83
The Pignose 7-100 Legendary portable amplifier is the world’s best compact, high quality and economic microphone. Below are the other features of this Pignose 7-100 Legendary portable amplifier.
- Six penlight batteries power this or you can also use a 9V converter
- With the headphone jack, you can practice a lot
- This is best for a newbie to play music
- You can also use this in the studio for critical music
- You can make this amplifier for any instruments
- This is made with metal corner protector
“If you want to buy a portable, economical and as well as a high-quality amplifier, then Pignose 7-100 Legendary portable amplifier is the right choice for you.”
5#: Peavey Max 126 Bass Combo Amplifier: $79.00
The Peavey Max 126 Bass Combo Amplifier is designed with excellent gain control with patented TransTube circuitry. You can expect the following features from this amplifier.
- It includes headphone output for private practice
- This is made with multiple bands and also DDT compression
- It features both low and as well as high EQ controls
- It allows controlling the volume using the volume control
“If you want to buy an amazing small lightweight amp your rehearsals, then Peavey Max 126 Bass Combo Amplifier is an ideal option for you.”
From this bass amp buying guide, you should know some basic information about bass amps and different types of bass amps available in these days market. Additionally, you also know features to consider on bass amps while choosing.
To get high-quality sound, you no need to spend more money on the amplifier. You can also buy a high-quality amplifier with latest features under $100 or $200 itself. If you’re looking bass amp for rehearsals or at home uses, then bass amps under $100 are more enough.
No matter what you’re going to buy bass amps on which price, it is very important to buy with 100% satisfaction. Thus, choose the bass amp based on bass instrument, music, and venue.