Is it possible for a human to live without a heart? Absolutely no. Just like that, a transformer is the heart of an electrical system. It is one of the significant elements of any industry including automobiles, electro-chemicals, steel, etc. Without a proper power supply, you won’t be able to manufacture products at all.
Let’s take an example, if the power supply goes off for a few moments, what’s your reaction? You start getting impatient and restless. Also, your work too gets affected. Similarly, not maintaining a transformer properly too leads to problems like that. So let’s take a closer look at what the blog post shows, about the maintenance of transformers in an electrical system. But before that, you need to know what transformers actually are and what they do?
Transformers are devices used in electrical circuits to adjust the voltage or current passing in the circuit. Transformers can be used either to increase (called “stepping up”) or decrease the same (“step down”).
Also, transformers help in improving the safety and efficiency of power systems when required. They are used in a broad range of industrial applications, most importantly in the delivery of suitable voltage to the machines used in the industry.
Maintenance checks that need to be done annually
- All the bushings of the transformer need to be cleaned by a smooth cotton cloth annually. Throughout the process of cleansing, also check whether the bushing is cracked or not.
- Resistive value of earth connection and rizer must be estimated annually with a clamp-on earth resistance meter.
- Inspect the condition of the oil yearly. For that, take the sample of the oil and check its dielectric strength and moisture content.
- Make certain to clean out the core of all of the marshaling boxes yearly. Monitor the proper functioning of space and illumination heaters.
- All of the terminal connections of control and relay wiring require to be tightened at least once a year.
Maintenance checks monthly
- The level of oil in the oil cap needs to be checked every month so that it doesn’t leak and cause damage.
- Keep the breathing holes in the silica gel clean to assure suitable breathing performance at all times.
- If your electrical transformer has oil filling bushing, make certain that the oil is loaded up to the accurate level.
Inspection and maintenance that needs to be done on a daily basis
- Examine the oil levels of MOG( Magnetic Oil Gauge) of the central and conservator container. Constantly manage to keep oil tied up to the necessary level in MOG.
- Restore the silica gel if its appearance shifts to pink color.
- Immediately seal if you detect any leakage.
These are some of the measures that you can take to maintain a transformer in your industry. So do not just sit back and relax, go and imply these maintenance tips now. Remember that a lack of even minimum maintenance can speed-up the failure of your transformer.